Friday, March 02, 2007

Junk Foods

MmmMMmm, despite the name conjuring up a sense of guilt :P, what's your favorite?
Com'on, sharing is caring ;)

Well, 'telinga biscuit' is mine. Always fall for it no matter how hard I resist.

It's not found on Wikipedia, so please be patient while I try illustrate/explain what I mean.
Telinga is the word for ear in the Malay language, and it's called so simply because the biscuit is ear-shaped. I don't really know what and how it is made, and perhaps won't want to find out anyways just in case it destroys my love for it :P All I can say that it's savory, and if you look closely enough, you can see little black pigments which I believe is some sort of spice (5 spice powder? Not sure). It tastes slightly sweet and salty at the same time, and is extremely crunchy, its main selling point. It's way beyond boring popcorns mann

Sneakily, there is a stash of this precious commodity brought to the UK, and thankfully, out of my sight (& mind), or else it'd have disappeared in seconds ...

Here is a picture of it:

Goggling it online landed me on this awesome biscuit manufacturer's site, which produces all the types of cookies and biscuits so typically found back home in Malaysia, missing the CNY atmosphere there. Though I don't really agree with the concept of mass production of food (especially if it's within your own ability to make it or at least attempt to, given the time), this site gives an idea of the mass array of biscuits in Msia, though there are many non standard Westernized variations there as well. Surprisingly, the telinga biscuit here is different from the one I mentioned, it's called 'biskut kerang' (shell biscuit) instead.

It's Chap Goh Mei soon this weekend, and of course nearer towards holiday and end of term! PHew, can't wait to sit down and heal the essay-o-phobia and start working frantically against time for my dissertation!

No comments: