Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Finger Lickin' Good Factor

I've always hear comments that KFC in the UK doesn't taste as good as the ones in Malaysia. So this is to supplement What the Foodies' recent post on KFC in Malaysia. Sounds strange to me given that its an international chain and the food should be standardised. Well, the only way to find out is to try it out for yourself! For me, finding a partner in crime was easy, just tag along P who occasionally has to satisfy his fried chicken cravings...

So we got a Classic Variety Meal set, which was accompanied with the tagline:

When you love everything at KFC why not have it all? Original Recipe Chicken, Hot Wings, Crispy Strips plus fries and a drink really answer those KFC cravings!

Heh, it definitely reminded me of my childhood days, though I was more of a A&W fan then (amazing rootbeer floats!). One thing I noticed was that KFCs in the UK seem to have a reputation or at least give the impression of a lower quality food chain, than say in Malaysia. Back home, KFC, A&W and McDonalds seem to be on par in terms of food standards, restaurant upkeep and customer service. I was surprised that even the KFC branch in Leicester Square seem to be a little bit messy and run down, unlike the now newly refurbished McDonald chains. Seems like they're lagging behind the race ...

Anyways, back to the fried chicken. I love the crispy strips best! Strips of boneless breast fillets deep fried till perfection. Such a sinful creation since its so easy to eat them all if I'm given a bucket full of it. I think tastewise it's pretty similar to Malaysia, though not ordering coleslaw and mashed potatoes with gravy is probably the reason why most feel that its different to the familiar versions at home. And they have baked beans on their menu here too, strange...

The finger lickin' good factor is definitely a mystery. Will definitely try my own version soon, probably a BBQ one to suit the weather these days :)

No comments: